Saturday, June 16, 2007

Needlebutt and Running Points

I managed to complete another five mile run tonight, in 90 degree weather. Every time I run it's depressingly hot, at least for Minnesota. I used to run in mid-day in Oklahoma in the summer with no trouble, kind of a masochistic I'm so tough 19 year old thing to do. Now, I just can't. I'd say I'm doing just fair. I just don't have the time to fit runs in right now. Oh, sure, I could get up at four and run, or I could have run off the calamari and two beers after work at the after-work happy hour, but I ain't so good at running with beer. I've had a cup of beer during a marathon, which didn't gel well with the GU and seemed to leave me in a state of collapse at mile 21. I'm not going to GU this year. Nope. Every time I try it the energy expended in digesting it leaves no energy for running. I'll try a heart rate monitor instead.

The butt pain is back again, but not like the butt pain I had with ITB syndrome. Just general butt pain, and I run through it. Who knows, I could be running on a fractured hip like the toasthater. Gotta go--Nancy and Max are needlepointing on the couch. I never thought my son would say "needlepoint is cool." Cool.

2 comments:

IHateToast said...

i love that pancy has all that thread about her and still has a hole in her shirt.

i'm not a fan of gu. there is one product i like that's an energy slime thing and it's called deVine. it's all grapes. i think that it's not all junk with 2% grape or whatever makes it easier to digest.

i also sailed through a run after a brekky of bread, peanut butter, mallow creme and nutella. SAILED through those 2 hours.

try it. nummy.

greg said...

My standard has been a plain bagel and cream cheese, and I'm going back to my standard. That and a banana. And, no matter what I do, I have to take a whiz one mile into any race.