Thursday, June 14, 2007

Dude, Like, It's So Titular

This Huge Machinery is stolen from my favorite poem, "Summer Solstice, New York City," and a single line that I'll never forget, for whatever complicated reasons we don't forget little things. Sharon Olds wrote the poem and it starts:
By the end of the longest day of the year he could not stand it,
he went up the iron stairs through the roof of the building
and over the soft, tarry surface
to the edge, put one leg over the complex green tin cornice
and said if they came a step closer that was it.
Then the huge machinery of the earth began to work for his life,
I only found the text of the poem online on a blog, under the entry for Poem of the Month, July1999. Don't read too much into the title of this blog and my state of mind. I'm pretty dang happy. I just figured I could use this here huge machinery, the friends I have around the earth, and a bit of creativity to help motivate toward a little bit of running. Ta tah.

1 comment:

IHateToast said...

dude.

i thought it was about your buns-o-steel.