Sunday, June 17, 2007

Putt-Putt Papa

Here in the Northern Hemisphere it's Father's Day, which I assume in the Southern Hemisphere it is Mother's Day, so long as Hallmark has penetrated that market. The plan today is mini-golf, Suessical, and dinner at home with Nancy and with Max's mom and step-dad. I will also fit in a run, again in 90 degree humid weather. I've got two days left to build my base. Given my progress so far, I'm thinking I should run as something. Y'know, a tree, or a gnome, or a gorilla. I'm not sure I can run as a runner.

Mini-golf is the new father's day tradition, started two years ago when the initial tradition of a boat ride down the river was not possible because Max put his hand through a glass door and we missed the boat (but he got derma-bonded by the doctor and later thought the white gauze on his hand was pretty macho). So, instead of a boat ride we took up mini-golf, a sport in which, in all seriousness, I had won tournaments and trophies as a kid at Putt-Putt, as a member of the Amateur Putters Association. Oklahoma's Putt-Putt professional tour is apparently still going strong.

My dad, who Max calls Papa, just completed his second dose of chemotherapy for small lymphocytic leukemia. He's bald now, which at age 73 should not be a big deal, but he has been very proud of his head of hair--and his health. Chemo is working so far, and because of his health--he plays tennis, punches a speed bag, and lifts weights--it looks pretty promising. I will need to get down to Okie country here soon, and maybe retrace some running routes while keeping Papa company on chemo day. Happy Papa Day.

4 comments:

IHateToast said...

düd!

it's not padre day here. we share madre day, but our padre day is... can't remember. mark tells me september.

i never remember u.s. padre day because no ads. now i feel like a heel. THANKS! no wait, my dad knows it's another day. whew. you're lucky!

happy pee dee! putt putt for the fun of it.

Toasty said...

2 days and you can base jumping! ... well maybe not .... love running in 90 degrees .. you know why? .... well since you ask ... you don't have to do much to work up a sweat ... I always feel so much better when it looks like I have been working hard

greg said...

I agree with the sweat factor-- it helps make you feel you've accomplished more than just shuffling your feet. And, when I was younger, I had a cat that would wait for me to finish my runs and then lick the sweat off my legs or, depending on the mood, attack my legs. I never understood why.

IHateToast said...

our dogs do that. ilike is a salty bugger. they love him.